Monday, January 11, 2010

Silvermine painting weekend.

Mary Beth McKenzie painting for us.


A new year means... time for a road trip! Drove to New Canaan, CT last Wednesday in my "Spy car" (Zip car) listening to Iron and Wine and sipping caffeine. Watched painting demos and painted for three days. Walked around the frozen, back in time, landscape of white houses and icy rivers. Talked about art and life with women wiser than I, over warming tea, sitting in the old parlor into the wee hours and slept with old portrait eyes watching over me at a lovely, quaint and creepy old Inn. Drove on from there to New Haven. Walked around the ghost town that Yale becomes when students are not yet back from holiday. Marked my journey with footprints in the snow covered quad and then warmed up in the Yale Center for British Art looking at some finely dressed British ladies, rolling hill landscapes and seaside views cracking in their old details. Stared at John Constable's cloud studies that covered a wall and thought about the big world. "I have done a good deal of skying- I am determined to conquer all difficulties and that most arduous one among the rest...The sky is the source of light in nature- and governs everything" John Constable to John Fisher. I Feel inspired from the journey and ready to use the new knowledge I have gained. p.s. please excuse the photo quality I forgot my camera and bought a disposable for the first time in years.


Calder like sculptures and the yummy place we ate lunch across the street everyday.

Outside the Silvermine Guild Arts Center...



Mary Beth's monotype plate and our view from the studio.



Two hundred year old inn and its surroundings...







1 comment:

  1. hi Ivy,
    this is great. i love your writing and your painting. by the by, those calderlike sculptures are by the local artist Drew Klotz.
    happy painting!
    chris from your class at silvermine

    ReplyDelete