Friday, September 18, 2009

Words my mother has told me.

My mother has sent me many letters and notes over the years. She started this when I moved all the way across the country to go north east for college. In many of these she tucked away quotes and poems that she thought I may find useful. I was going through some papers in my studio today and I found a book I used to compile these all in. And I revisited Robert Frost. It's remarkable how much more this poem speaks to me now than it did back when I read it probably freshman year. I don't just understand it now, now I relate my life to it. Life goes by so quickly when it's at its best. The loveliest moments are fleeting but isn't that why they are so magical?


Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
Robert Frost

No comments:

Post a Comment