Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Adieu, bicyclette

Saturday, August 25th,


At dinner last night there were many stories shared, many laughs, and many drinks.  I walked into the aftermath of it this morning; the kitchen sink piled high and wine bottles sprinkled around.  But it was my last day in Giverny, so I took off for one last adventure.  I got up on my hill to find it was blowing away.  Standing in front of the hill looking up from the path, I took out my watercolors and decided to paint the wind.  I did a few studies and then took my bike up farther for a brief walk in the woods I hadn't yet explored.  The light was dancing with the shadows because of all the movement in the branches above.  I sat there for some time and listened.  Then down towards where the horses were before I went.  Today they were out from the trees in the open, all huddled together against the wind in a group.  One brown horse, three white.  The goats, today there was two, were over by the fence.  I did a quick pencil sketch and then let the wind push me down the hill towards Vernon, to the Seine.



Horses, windy day, Ivy Hickam, pencil

I had to peddle back quickly after I finished one last sketch to return my bike to the foundation.  I can still feel the cool air against my face and see the sun in the trees.  Tonight a final crit and a last dinner awaits.  I promise to myself to remember what I have learned this short lived, long felt time.  And to return again someday.


No comments:

Post a Comment