Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Baudy's

Wednesday, August 15th


I returned to "Hotel Baudy's" tonight, early evening, and sat in the fading sun and drank a glass of wine while I watched the people and petted the owner's dog, who was at my feet.  I had been here years ago.
When I got off the train from Paris the line was too long for Monet's garden and I had no idea where I was so I walked down the road and an old, stylish man had beckoned me into what looked like a tavern.  He told me to go see the garden through the back door.

Baudy's is no longer a hotel, but has the memories of one.  It was the residence that the American artists claimed when they came into town.  The Baudy's provided a place with room and board, garden and studio; a place so welcoming that they never wanted to leave.  So they stayed and did their work and Giverny became an artist colony.

 Little Dog, Cafe, Ivy Hickam, ballpoint

I said goodbye to the little dog and walked down the street.  Watching the light fade on the buildings, I too never wanted to leave.


No comments:

Post a Comment