Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Goupil

Friday, August 17th


I started a self portrait today.  It was back lit with the bright green of a sunlit Pavlovnia tree; the view from outside my bedroom window.  I feel at home here at the Terra residency, my view in Brooklyn is much the same.  The big house we get to stay in, "Goupil," is cozy.  It's surrounded by a maze of hedges, gardens and other residency houses.  As a result it feels special and secret even though the tourists park right outside the hedge every morning.  And when they leave again, like clockwork, around 6 every evening, our patio and the entire town beyond becomes a peaceful new world.

My painting was not going well, and when I had painted myself into not seeing, I walked out onto the grounds and lay on my back in the grass.  Something I do not have the luxury of doing in New York.  I watched the trees above in the fading day.  One was dark from the sun leaving it and the other was still the bright acid green of my painting.  I saw when I looked beyond, high in the sky, countless tiny sparrows diving in front of the clouds.  I watched them for some time and then I went back to my easel.

No comments:

Post a Comment